Morocco is a member of the Madrid Agreement and the Madrid Protocol. Trademark protection is obtained by registration. The owner of a well-known mark within the meaning of the Paris Convention may claim cancellation of the registration of a mark that may be confused with his own mark.
Trademark registration: Requirements
- Signed and stamped power of attorney
- Goods & classes covered (nr)
- Legalized certificate Priority documents if claimed. (nr)
Trademark registration: Procedure
The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness, and a search for prior trademarks. It takes approximately 8-12 months from first filing to registration. After registration, the trademark is published in the Gazette. The opposition period is 30 days from the publication date of the application.
(Trademark registration takes approximately 4-6 months from first filing to registration)
- Filing: the mark will be filed in the trademark office where a serial number and dated filing document would be given for the ordered mark.
- Formal Examination: The application process includes only a formal examination, without indication of possible identical or similar trademarks (Formal Examination could not be done without completing all required documents).
- Publication: the trademark will be registered and published in the Gazette.
Trademark registration: Duration
Trademark registration in Morocco is valid for 10 years and starts with the Filing date. The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.
Duly note, if the trademark has not been used within 5 years from the issue of the registration certificate or has not been used later for a continuous period of 5 years, it may be subject to cancellation.