Lebanon is a member of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property. Trademark protection is obtained by registration.
Trademark registration: Requirements
- A legalized power of attorney
- Goods & classes covered (nr)
- Legalized certificate Priority documents if claimed. (nr)
Trademark registration: Procedure
The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness, and a search for prior trademarks. It takes approximately 8-12 months from first filing to registration. After registration, the trademark is published in the Gazette. The opposition period is 30 days from the publication date of the application.
(Trademark registration takes approximately 2-4 Weeks from first filing to registration)
- Filing: the mark will be filed in the trademark office where a serial number and dated filing document would be given for the ordered mark.
- Formal Examination: an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks (Formal Examination could not be done without completing all required documents).
- Publication: the trademark will be registered and published in the Gazette.
Trademark registration: Duration
Trademark registration in Lebanon is valid for 15 years and starts with the Filing date. The registration is renewable for periods of 15 years.